Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Week 2


Week 2

This week got switched up a little bit. Instead of starting from start 1 (the top) they moved a small group of us down to start 3 (the next skeleton start below start 1, start 2 is for luge). The lower start was to help us work on our form. When you run the sled from start 1 the hits are much harder (obviously). When you hit a wall, your form breaks because your body is flung to one side of the sled. So when you are going at such high speeds, recovering from a hit and getting good form back is pretty basic, but is hard to get used to. Sliding from start 3 makes it easier to hold form after a hit because you are going slower.

The hardest part about recovering after a hit isn’t really physical, because when your adrenaline is pumping you don’t really feel much. The hardest part for me is recovering mentally. When I catch air coming out of a turn, that instant I’m in the air is in slow motion, even though I’m going about 60mph. That moment I’m in the air is like..oh crap oh crap of crap oh crap SMACK ...then SLAM into the wall (curve 12). Next thing I know I’m in another curve and I have to think about whats next, but its already too late because my head is jumbled from the hit, and the next thing I know I hit another wall.


I know when I’m going at slower speeds and I mess up or start to skid, I cuss out loud. I’m sure if there was a microphone in my helmet it would be pretty entertaining.

Bruises last a really long time here for me mostly because I usually hit in the same spot every day. Unfortunately it will be a while before I stop getting bruises. There are people here who have been in LP since November and are still getting them. So I’m sorry to say mom, and aunt Shannon, the bruises are here to stay.

Went back to start one on wed. Did awesome! Got faster after every run.

Got an official work out from the weight trainer on wed. I’m really surprised how opposite the peer pressure is in LP as far as how often to work out. You see a lot of people here work out, what seems like every day and lift a lot of weight. Seeing them makes me worry that I am not doing enough as far as training goes. But I was told today that over training is a real problem here. The weight coach said to take 2 days of rest a week. Because we have to slide after we work out, the added stress on the body requires more recovery time.
I feel like normal people don’t have to force themselves not to work out. But some people here in LP have to force themselves to take a day off! And I never thought I would ever feel lazy for only taking 1 day off! It just makes me realize what a backwards life we live in the training center.

People sliding 60-70mph face first down in ice shoot. Forcing themselves NOT to work out…crazy

2 comments:

  1. Sick blog meeeeeeeggggieeee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cussing, wow... I wouldnt think your mouth could move with the G-forces. My crazy Cowabunga girl. Keep it up. Love the Blog. So.... Proud!
    How is the school part of the experience going?

    ReplyDelete