Saturday, February 19, 2011

Off the sled




Week 3

This week did not have as much productive sliding involved. We slid from start 3 again this Friday because the top of the track was melted. It was 45 on Friday! Anyways, obviously everyone took sliding from start 3 very seriously. A few of the guys dressed up in super hero costumes, and bikinis over there spandex. Others taped extra weight to themselves and the sled in attempts to win. Unfortunately there were sled checks and a few of the sliders were DQd for their extra weight haha. It was all a joke anyways. There were also large rubber bands attached to the luge posts at the start so there was an attempt to slingshot a sled down the track. Failed attempt.

The beginning of this week was not as much fun for me. For the first time I actually came off of my sled, and was holding on with one hand. I came out of a turn extraaa late and my sled stayed in the turn…as in the sled was still sideways coming out of the turn and stuck to the sidewall as I was dragged behind it. It wasn’t actually very scary because it happened so fast that I pulled myself back on my sled almost as fast as I was thrown off. When I finally got off of my sled I actually couldn’t stop laughing, I think that might have just been the adrenaline or the shock, but I guess I thought I was hilarious. I didn’t feel the injuries until later in the day, I got some iceburn and actually ripped my spandex for the first time on my left arm. My right hip was a little swollen, which got much worse in the days fallowing. My chest bone also was bruised because when my body started to come off the sled, I was thrown to the left, and my chest bone landed on the left side of my saddle, which is metal.

I’m actually glad it happened because now I think I have been initiated into the sport haha. It’s happened to everyone at least once and now I know I can get back on the sled even after a spill. Not that this spill was really that bad, I’m sure it’ll happen again.

Anyways, nationals are coming up and mom and dad are gunna come up to watch. Which I’m kind of excited to show them just how fast we go. It’s kind of hard to tell watching it on TV, but in person makes it seem more intense.

4 comments:

  1. Megan, Glad you are enjoying your time and thankful that you are laughing at your skid off or whatever it was called. We are very proud of you for following your dream. Keep the updates coming, I will try to figure out how to follow along. Have a wonderful day.
    The Lokies

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, sliding off when we come or we may make you come home with us :0)
    I remember dad saying, "why are we letting her do this?" as his saw you go over a jump bigger than you on a horse bigger than you. Stay safe. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meghan,

    Bob and I tried to make a donation to your fund but it wouldn't work. Is there a problem with pay pal? We are so psyched for you and love to hear about your progress!
    Carol Ciullo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Meghan, I thought that you are going to be wild .... but the skelton-thing is definitely crazy! How fast can the sleds go?
    Will your parents try it out? ;-)
    Best wishes from Germany.
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete