Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Pre Race

Tomorrow is my first international race…12 countries. Get to wear a team usa speed suit which makes me feel pretty legit. But I’m actually nervous for this race…not like nationals. I think this race is different than nationals because I have expectations…and because I had an awesome week of training leading up to the national championships. I have had a horrible 2 weeks leading up to this race.

These past 2 weeks I have been trying new runners. For those who don’t understand skeleton runners this isn’t going to make much sense…but thy coaches had me try men’s big wheels plus 50…not positive if they are actually plus 50 but that’s what they jokingly said so…I don’t know. Anyways….these runners have a fatter spine..and shallower groves than the runners I was on for nationals. Which means that there is less of the runner cutting into the ice…which gives me less control…which I tend to like to have.

However, the less runner that cuts into the ice..the faster you go..so the ultimate goal was to teach me to control these squirrely runners so that I could go faster. However I couldn’t manage them/I think I needed more than 1 week to get used to them because it was a complete disaster. I came off of my sled again..in curve 18/19..I was still holding on but I have a bruise that runs down the entire length of my right leg. So my ego is incredibly bruised for this race.

I tried different runners today and did better. Feeling much better about racing tomorrow now.

I’m getting it all sorted out in my head...I’ll forget most of the negative stuff by tomorrow…and will be ready for the race. The coaches seem to have faith in me, so why shouldn’t I.

No comments:

Post a Comment