Monday, March 21, 2011

INTERNATIONAL DRIVING SCHOOL



In the weeks after nationals not much was happening around the OTC. There was less ice time due to a large number of skele and bobsled recruitment camps. I liked having some time off after nationals to kind of absorb what I had accomplished and to think about what was next.

Unfortunately, I think that my mind is still not completely re-focused on skeleton. Which means I need to get my shit together because today I started my first international driving school, and next week I have my first international race.

The atmosphere at the OTC has changed again. The world cup sliders, for the most part, have all left. But they have been replaced with sliders from all over the world, some of which are world cup. There are sliders here from Mexico, Canada, Australia, Korea, Sweden, England, and Greece. I know I’m missing some but you get the picture. Most of the people here are staying after the driving school to compete in the last Americas cup race of the season.

My sliding today was not great. I popped the grove at the start and actually let go of my sled…debated letting it go down the track with out me…hopped on anyways… and hit 2 walls before I even reached the first curve. I have been working on my push start a lot lately, and not pushing well today ticked me off just a bit.

Not sliding well for a day normally doesn’t bother me, but because I was 1 of only 4 women who got picked for this school, it makes me feel bad. -- You know when you try out for a team….lets say soccer, and you just nail a shot and score right in front of the coach. You feel kinda badass after. Lets say you make the team, but in your first game you get another break away and completely miss the next shot…like it was not even close…way over the goal, like you were trying to punt a football. And then you miss your next shot on goal too…you feel like shit…obviously. So are you as good as you showed in try outs....or did you just get lucky? Does the coach regret picking you for the team?—That’s pretty much how I feel right now

Friends from home ask me all the time what you need to be good at skeleton. And a lot of times I feel like their trying to figure out why I am any good at it, or they are trying to judge how athletic you have to be to actually be good. Because to them, it seems like most of the sport is just laying on a sled. Which is true, but the push start is super important if you want to get faster down times. And I can’t name any other sport, (except for bobsled and luge obviously), that only gets to practice for 2 minuets every day. I had never even thought about how ridiculous that is until one of our coaches said something. But seriously, 2 minuets a day…2 runs…taking about 58 seconds each. No wonder it takes so long to get good at this sport.


Americas cup is going to be next Thursday and Friday I believe. And I was just informed today, that the women’s gold medalist in skeleton from the Vancouver 2010 Olympic’s, is going to be competing with us. That is crazy. I have heard that some other world cup sliders from other countries maybe competing with us as well. Apparently world championships are going to be here next year and a lot of the world cup people want as many runs down this track as possible before then. Makes sense. But to a person who has only slid for….what 6 weeks now. I’m kind of worried about getting my ass kicked haha.

3 comments:

  1. You own this track Meg! Don't worry about anyone other than yourself! You earned this race and you're going to do amazing...as long as you let yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were this facebook I'd hit the little "like" button on Corinne's comment, but I can't because it's not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Attending driving school is always important it is because driving schools not only help you to get your license but also have numerous benefits such as.

    Driving Schools A to Z

    ReplyDelete